Wooden interior doors were and remain at the peak of popularity due to the natural beauty of wood and the performance characteristics of this material. Such canvases have good sound and heat insulation properties, aesthetic appeal, reliability and durability. They are easy to fit into any interior. However, even the highest quality doors made of expensive wood lose their attractive appearance over time.
Temperature changes, high humidity and intense daily loads lead to the inevitable deformation of wooden products. The external facing is the first to suffer. But the loss of a presentable type of paintings is not a reason to part with them. Painting your own hands will help to return wooden doors to their former attractiveness. It is only necessary to choose the right paintwork composition and carry out work in accordance with the technology.
The choice of paintwork material
There are many paints and varnishes that will help to update the door leaf at home. They can be divided into several groups: paints, varnishes, stains, decorative and protective impregnations. The choice of the desired dye is determined by the external state of the product. So, if the door is relatively new, the natural beauty of wood is better not to hide, but to emphasize, preferring transparent and slightly tinted formulations. But how to paint the old interior wooden door?
If the product has completely lost its original appearance, then you should think about compositions with good covering ability. In this case it is possible to paint with paints of a certain composition and enamels, and with good processing of the canvas - with stain and lacquer as anchoring. Next, we consider the main types of paints, their advantages and conditions of use.
If it was decided to paint the doors in a bright and monochromatic color that will be in harmony with the color scheme of the room, the choice of paint in this case is the ideal solution. The range of similar products is very extensive. There are specialized compositions intended for painting wood. However, only high-quality paint can create a durable coating, so its choice must be approached responsibly.
Paints for wooden doors are of different types and have their own characteristics:
- Alkyd. Presented by a wide range of colors and shades. After complete drying, they create on the surface a strong and durable layer that is resistant to various external factors. A wear resistant coating will protect the wood from mechanical damage. However, alkyd-based enamels have a significant drawback - a strong pungent odor that persists for several days. Therefore, such compositions are better to paint the door on the street or in a well-ventilated area.
- Acrylic. These are water-based paints, and therefore do not have a toxic smell. The main advantages of these formulations are that they are easy to apply, they have good covering ability and are safe for health. Special paint on wood on acrylic basis is suitable for painting doors at home. You do not have to leave the apartment to wait until it is completely dry. However, the main disadvantage in the weak strength of the coating, it is recommended to additionally cover the surface with acrylic varnish.
- Nitrokraski. Treat group of compositions on the basis of solvents. They create a durable and resistant coating on the surface, but emit toxic fumes, which often lead to allergic reactions. Work with this type of paint is necessary only in protective equipment and preferably in the fresh air.
- Polyurethane. Possess good covering ability. The coating is resistant to various negative factors, is not afraid of moisture and temperature changes. It is better to paint with polyurethane paint the door not in the apartment, but in the bath.
- Oily. They are considered the most affordable in price, have a long service life (up to 5 years). However, a tree covered with such paint is not able to "breathe." In addition, the composition dries for a very long time and releases toxic fumes. Use better paint with a different composition.
This category of materials includes compositions that are often used to fix the result after dyeing with acrylic paint or stain. Lucky are transparent and tinted. The former are ideal for emphasizing the natural texture of wood, the latter for imparting a faint tint and shine.
The varnish is used not only for decorative purposes, it is necessary when the surface of a wooden product must be protected from external factors.
There are several types of varnish:
- Alkyd As well as the paint from this group, it creates a durable coating that is resistant to temperature fluctuations and has water-repellent properties.
- Acrylic. The material is resistant to high humidity, does not collapse under the influence of ultraviolet rays. Does not have a pungent smell, it is glossy and matte.
- Nitrocellulose. Painting of interior doors with such composition is possible only in dry rooms with an optimal microclimate, since the resulting coating does not have sufficient strength and can quickly crack.
- Polyurethane. It has good adhesion to wooden surfaces, is durable and durable coating. It is glossy, semi-gloss and matte. This varnish can cover not only doors, but also veneer, tabletop and even parquet.
- Polyester. It has high strength and wear resistance, but is toxic. It has a strong chemical smell, so it is better to use it to cover street doors.
Paint the interior doors at home can be stain. Such compositions are opaque, intended for toning the tree and its temporary protection from negative influences. Wood stain perfectly emphasizes wood structure, but requires periodic updating of the layer.
There are several types of compositions:
- On a varnish basis. This includes the stain with the ability to quickly dry, it is also called azure. The color is uneven, so experts recommend covering the surface with such a composition with an airbrush.
- Oil based. This stain gives a dark shade to the tree, rather thick, so before use it must be diluted with a solvent.
- Water based. The composition penetrates deep into the structure of the tree, giving a rich shade and clarity to the pattern. On a wooden surface, the decorative layer looks beautiful and retains its properties for a long time.
- Alcohol based. Wood stain is more expensive than other varieties and has a sharp unpleasant odor, the advantages include fast drying.
Important! If the wooden door will not be treated with anti-decay, mildew and fungi, choose a stain with antiseptic properties.
For the renewal of the old wooden door color impregnations are also excellent. They belong to the decorative and protective compositions. Most often, two types of impregnations are used for wood treatment: oil and wax base. With their help, you can make the processing of the canvas and its tint, give a beautiful shade, the layer of matter does not hide the beautiful texture of wood.
In addition to the decorative function of impregnation, they possess bio-and fire-retardant properties. Penetrating deep into the layers of wood fibers, they can increase the resistance of the surface to moisture and prevent the formation of mold and fungus. The compositions are easy to use, and for greater brilliance you can apply a special polish for wood.
What color to paint?
Choosing the right color scheme depends on the furniture, the color of the walls and the floor. Doors should harmoniously fit into the design of the room. Most often, a white, brown, wenge shade is chosen as the primary color for the cloth, since they are considered universal. However, this is not always the case. For example, the white color of the doors is not appropriate in a dark interior. In addition, the door painted in a light shade in the kitchen or hallway will quickly get dirty - this is not practical.
Modern designers define three main groups of colors:
- Pastel - light blue, beige, peach, pale pink, lavender.
- Saturated dark - brown, wenge, cherry, dark blue, chocolate.
- Bright colors - yellow, lemon, red, orange, emerald.
The color of the interior door in the desired color is determined by the place of installation of the canvas and the purpose of the room. Here are some guidelines for choosing paint colors:
- In a wooden house or apartment with a partial decoration of the walls of wood install interior doors of the same material. In this case, you should choose a clear varnish or impregnation with weak tinting properties.
- In the interior of the bedroom is most often dominated by pastel colors. Therefore, for painting the doors it is worth choosing white, beige, gray, lavender - any calm and neutral shades.
- Dark colors (cherry, wenge, chocolate) would be more appropriate in the living room. Such shades will give the interior greater luxury and sophistication.
- In the nursery, the doors will look great bright colors. If the canvas is installed in the playing area, then more than one color can be used for painting.
Note! Interior doors, regardless of the purpose of the room, should be slightly darker or lighter than the walls.
Tools and materials for work
Before you start painting the door with your own hands, you need to prepare the canvas. To do this, you may need the following materials and tools:
- screwdrivers, screwdriver;
- grinding machine;
- building hair dryer;
- wash or solvent;
- putty wood;
- primer composition;
- rubber spatula.
To paint the surface you can not do without a brush and roller. If the selected dye is sufficiently liquid consistency, you can use the spray gun - it will work faster. As an additional and equally important means, you need to prepare a paint tray, gloves, an unnecessary rag, and masking tape.
Door leaf preparation
Repaint the old door of wood is possible only after careful preparation of the canvas. To do this, first remove the door from the hinges, disassemble all the accessories (handle, locking mechanism and other details). If you do not have special skills, these elements can and be left, then you have to isolate them with foil and tape. The canvas is laid in a horizontal position for ease of operation, and then proceed to the main part of the surface preparation.
Removing the old cover
It will not be possible to perform high-quality painting of the door surface if there is an old coating, and even with defects. That is why at this stage it is necessary to remove the layer of old paint or varnish. This can be done with the help of various improvised means.
Consider a few effective ways to clean the door leaf:
- Grinding machine. The door covered with a thin layer of old paint can be processed with a grinding tool. This is the fastest and least costly method of all. However, it is not suitable if the canvas is decorated with carvings or curly elements. As an alternative, you can use coarse sandpaper, but time and physical costs are inevitable.
- Building a hairdryer. This is a special tool that is designed for heating various types of surfaces. It will also be effective in the application. To do this, a stream of hot air is directed to the old coating (only you can not keep the tool too close to the surface, otherwise there is a risk of fire). With intensive heating, the old paint softens and can be easily removed with a spatula.
- With a wash or solvent. In the hardware store you can buy a special paint remover. However, these tools should be used very carefully, preferably on the street or in a well-ventilated area, as their pungent odor is toxic.
Important! When choosing any method of removing the old coating, it is necessary to use tools such as rubber gloves, eye goggles, a mask or a respirator.
Elimination of defects
If you find any defects (cracks, chips, scratches) on the surface of the door leaf, they must be eliminated. This can be done using putty on wood. The composition is applied to the damaged area, the whole mass is leveled with a rubber spatula. The surface covered with such putty should be allowed to dry, after which the place of processing is carefully cleaned with emery paper. As a result, there should not be any irregularities or lumps of dried putty.
When all defects are eliminated, cracks and scratches are puttied, you can proceed to the last stage of the preparatory activities. To qualitatively repaint the door, their surface must be perfectly smooth. This is necessary for easier paint application. Grinding is carried out all the same grinder or fine-grained sandpaper. Then from the surface you need to remove wood dust with a vacuum cleaner.
The door has been prepared, the paintwork material has been selected, and the matter remains small - we proceed to painting. But first you need to prepare the workplace and tools. The canvas should be laid on the surface previously prepared by plastic wrap, and the brush should be rinsed with warm water and combed to help remove loosely fixed hairs that can spoil the result of dyeing. How to paint a wooden door you will be prompted by the instructions below.
Paint enamel or varnish
It is very simple to do the coloring yourself, if you correctly approach this process. First, the surface must be treated with a primer, this will improve the adhesion of the coloring material to the base, and the coating after drying will last longer.
The following step-by-step instruction will help you achieve a quality result:
- Open the can of paint, mix the composition thoroughly. If necessary, dilute with a solvent (if the packing instructions permit). Pour some paint into the painting tray.
- Dip the brush in the paint and process it first all the protruding elements (panels, ends), as well as the corners.
- Next, uniformly paint flat areas with a roller. You should start from the upper left corner, gradually moving to the right.
- One layer of paint will not be enough, so after the first one is dry, we apply a second layer (the more, the better), but only in the opposite direction.
- After the final drying of the door leaf should be turned over to the other side and repeat all the same steps.
The application of varnish is no different from the process described above. However, there is one difference - you need to perform interlayer grinding. After each layer (well dried) the surface is polished with sandpaper with an average grain. With each subsequent layer of grain skin should be less. The finishing layer on the varnished surface does not require such treatment.
If the stain was chosen, then before painting the doors do not need priming, as the composition penetrates deep into the wood fibers. There are several methods of painting: rubbing, spraying, staining and brushing. The last option is the easiest, consider the whole process in more detail.
How to cover the door stain:
- The composition lays on damp wood better, therefore at first it is necessary to moisten a surface of a cloth with water.
- Using a brush, apply a thin layer of wood stain along the fibers. After drying, apply the next, but across.
- At the same time we cover the lower part of the canvas, otherwise the coloring will be uneven, as the stain quickly penetrates into the deeper layers of the tree.
- When using a water-based stain, before finishing the coating, sanding with sandpaper should be carried out; if using alcohol, this action can be skipped.
- At this stage, we clean the canvas of wood dust and apply the last decorative layer. If desired, open the colorless varnish.
Impregnation or waxing
Decorative impregnations on an oil or wax basis have the nuances in drawing. For surface treatment using a brush with a soft bristle, roller or foam sponge. First, the composition is thoroughly mixed, after which it is applied in a small amount to one area and everything is rolled out using a roller. To avoid strips or darkened areas, carry out processing at an accelerated rate, evenly distributing the substance over the entire area.
Impregnation dries on average about 8-12 hours, the next layer should be applied no later than a day after the previous one dries.
Imitation of natural wood
To repaint interior doors in an apartment, it is not always enough to apply several coats of paint. Sometimes you want to see on the surface of the canvas natural wood pattern. If your doors are made of MDF or sheathed with ordinary plywood, they can be painted with imitation of natural wood. There are two methods to do this.
Door leaf is painted with a light shade of paint. It is recommended to choose a gray, beige or yellowish subtone. When the layer is completely dry, a liquid brush is applied with a wide brush. A layer of darker paint is applied on top (dark brown or wenge color can be chosen). Excess liquid soap will begin to appear through this layer - they should be washed off. The result is a coating with a pattern of wood fibers.
At first the door is covered with paint of the same color (also light), after drying the second layer of darker paint. Take a special brush with a relief surface (it can be purchased at any hardware store) and spend it on the still raw surface. So spontaneously appear lines and curls, which together give an imitation of a woody pattern. After drying, the decorative layer is polished to give naturalness and varnished.
As you can see, there are different ways of painting doors at home. Correctly selected coloring composition and adherence to technology will provide a high-quality, durable and aesthetically attractive coating. The choice of color and decor of interior doors is a matter of taste for everyone.